Monday, November 5, 2012

Blog Hop 11 - Interesting Stash Aquisition

Stitching the Night Away Stitching Bloggers Blog Hop


The question for this blog hop is:

What has been your most unusual or most interesting stash acquisition to date?

I really had to think about this one.  One of my coolest is one of my smallest:  my scissors reel.  I think it came from a storage unit that my husband bought but I don't remember for sure.  I can tell you that it was made by Ketchum & McDougall.



UPDATE:  The scissor reel has a pin on the back which I attach to my shirt near my right shoulder.  The part that is hooked to the scissors is on a self-retracting cable (think of how a tape measure works).  When I need to cut something, I pull the scissors away from my body and clip away.  When I'm done, the scissors "reel" back into place.
Another great find was something I didn't keep.  Back in the 1990's as I was travelling across Montana, I stopped at a small cross-stitch shop.  In the leaflet racks, I found two Paula Vaughan in Miniature leaflets.  I knew that leaflet was out-of-print and very hard to find.  I bought both of them for the cover price of $6.50 and when I got home I sold them on Ebay for $73 each.

More recently, I went to a garage sale a couple of houses down from me and found two cross stitch leaflets:  Chandler's Cottage by Thomas Kinkade and Watering Can from Lanarte.  This was a surprising find because the bulk of the items for sale were quilting related.  Yes, I did manage to buy some fabric as well at 50¢ a yard!
Happy Stitching!

Stacy

Visit all the blogs in this round of the Stitching the Night Away Stitching Blogger Blog Hop:
Find the instructions on how to participate in this round by clicking here.

5 comments:

Kasey said...

Wow!! What a deal you made on eBay!! The reel looks interesting - does it attach to something and keep the scissors tethered to it.

Loretta said...

I don't know that I've ever seen a scissor reel before ... definitely an interesting little piece.

Stitchy McStitcher said...

Awesome! That little scissor thing sounds handy, but I think I might forget I have it and leave the house wearing it!

Stitchy McStitcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meari said...

I've always wanted one of those scissor reels. I think they'd be really handy.

I've turned things around on eBay for a hefty profit, too. Not so much XS, but other things.